My first cold of the season hit last Monday at 9:30 p.m. as I sat out on my balcony grading papers. One minute I was fine, and the next I was running for the tissues. So I've been drinking lots of tea (hmm, I think I need to run to the store for some *ahem* medicinal brandy), popping homeopathic pills, and trying to down several more glasses' worth of water than the standard eight. Next comes the Vitamin C!
On Monday afternoon (before I was attacked by the cold virus), I played a little frisbee out on the gorgeous green lawn of the university. And what a day it was! A perfect early-fall day--afternoon sunshine gleaming down, the grass green and smooth, a feisty little breeze to keep us cool, and the high slopes of Mt. Sentinel bronzed in the sunlight. The clock tower watched us, benignly marking off the minutes, and the sunlight bright in my eyes was bright in my heart, too: I felt light as air as I leaped and ran and tossed the frisbee. You know how sometimes your heart is simply buoyed up with happiness, so much that you can't contain it, and it's got to spill out of you? I felt radiant with life.
And then I got this cold. Oh, well. If that's the price I have to pay for a glorious afternoon, so be it.
Today is another exquisite day--the same breeze, same sunlight, same crisp and clear quality to the air. Why, then, am I sitting inside? Because I have my first long essay due for my environmental writing class, and while I have the required number of words, I need to conclude it, rearrange it, and tie it together a bit more. But perhaps I will have to go out and take a bike ride down on the river path, wind in my hair, sunlight on my face, rejoicing in the fact that I'm in a Montana mountain town.
And I'm an official Montanan now! I have a Montana driver's license, Montana car insurance, and lovely Montana license plates--I supported the national parks and spent a little extra for a specialty Glacier National Park plate.
Well, back to my cup of Yogi Organic Throat Comfort tea--and, of course, my essay. Look for excerpts in upcoming posts!
On Monday afternoon (before I was attacked by the cold virus), I played a little frisbee out on the gorgeous green lawn of the university. And what a day it was! A perfect early-fall day--afternoon sunshine gleaming down, the grass green and smooth, a feisty little breeze to keep us cool, and the high slopes of Mt. Sentinel bronzed in the sunlight. The clock tower watched us, benignly marking off the minutes, and the sunlight bright in my eyes was bright in my heart, too: I felt light as air as I leaped and ran and tossed the frisbee. You know how sometimes your heart is simply buoyed up with happiness, so much that you can't contain it, and it's got to spill out of you? I felt radiant with life.
And then I got this cold. Oh, well. If that's the price I have to pay for a glorious afternoon, so be it.
Today is another exquisite day--the same breeze, same sunlight, same crisp and clear quality to the air. Why, then, am I sitting inside? Because I have my first long essay due for my environmental writing class, and while I have the required number of words, I need to conclude it, rearrange it, and tie it together a bit more. But perhaps I will have to go out and take a bike ride down on the river path, wind in my hair, sunlight on my face, rejoicing in the fact that I'm in a Montana mountain town.
And I'm an official Montanan now! I have a Montana driver's license, Montana car insurance, and lovely Montana license plates--I supported the national parks and spent a little extra for a specialty Glacier National Park plate.
Well, back to my cup of Yogi Organic Throat Comfort tea--and, of course, my essay. Look for excerpts in upcoming posts!
No comments:
Post a Comment