Yes, indeed, BOTH Democratic presidential hopefuls were in Montana last weekend. I went with some friends from work to hear both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton speak at the Mansfield-Metcalf dinner in Butte. We waited outside, shivering in the Arctic wind, for nearly two hours, and amused ourselves by taking pictures.
But when we finally got inside (and through security, where the security peeps made sure that our cameras and phones were truly cameras and phones, and that we weren't carrying any weapons), we found decent seats, grabbed the provided box lunches (courtesy of Costco) and sat in eager anticipation while the Civic Center filled to capacity.
When Barack Obama was introduced, the roar of applause and shouting was overwhelming and lasted for several minutes. Throughout his eloquent speech--he spoke of universal health care, improvements in the educational system, new tax requirements for wealthy individuals and corporations, the need for all people in this country to have equal opportunities to meet their basic needs, and his hope for CHANGE--he was constantly interrupted by further cheers and fervent clapping. We couldn't stay silent; we couldn't stay seated. We were inspired. Refreshed. Energized. Full of hope that, come November, we will have the chance to vote for a political candidate who cares about the same things we do, who has vision and compassion and determination . . .
GO OBAMA!!!!
All righty . . . that's my moment on the soapbox.
In other news,
I mopped my porch floor this morning and organized my cupboards and basked in the sunshine.
I'm in the process of putting together an Earth Day liturgy for my church, and I get to be the assisting pastor for the service! A little daunting but mostly exciting. I've gotten to meet with Pastor Jean several times this week and it's been refreshing.
The cats are going wild with the coming of spring and are constantly tearing around the house, knocking things off the shelves, and getting into places they're not supposed to.
Work on my thesis is going slowly. Good thoughts for creativity and motivation are much appreciated. :)
I opened the windows in my house today (first time this season!), and am reveling in all the fresh air!
I bought my first pair of of Danskos. I could rhapsodize over how much I love these shoes, but I'll simply say that they kick ass.
Well, the weather is gorgeous today and I'm about to take off for a hike up Mt. Sentinel for some exercise, Zen time, and journaling. Happy Saturday a todos!
So, do you really want universal health care?
ReplyDeleteIs this a trick question?
ReplyDeleteOooh. Aren't you neato? Well, I saw Hillary. IN SIOUX CENTER. :)
ReplyDeleteHow did your earth day service go? I'm sorry that I forgot to ask you about that earlier. :-/
ReplyDeletePastor Herm did a creation care focus that Sunday, a service I kept thinking you would have really enjoyed, but he didn't openly say it was for "earth day".
Mumsie