14 March 2011

Spring, Sprang, Sprung!

Perhaps it is too early to declare that spring has come, but I can definitively say that the day I have been waiting for has arrived, and it was yesterday.  Sunny, 55 degrees, with the freshest air and smells all around, earth and grass warming in the sunshine, playful breezes, spring saying "I am here!"  I know it'll probably get cold again, and we'll probably get more snow, and that's absolutely fine.  The herald of spring blew her horn, and that was what I was waiting for.

Ah.

As the days roll by, I am increasingly grateful to have made my commitment to the spiritual practices I mentioned in the previous post.  Already they are making a difference.  I have spent so much less time on the computer than usual.  I didn't even turn it on this past weekend--and I know that part of that was due to the gorgeous weather, but part of it was me simply not feeling the need to be online.  And not being on Facebook hasn't been too difficult (yet), despite the fact that my good friend Amy just had a baby boy yesterday (!!!!!!!) and, though he is as yet unnamed, I am sure there are pictures on FB already . . . (Must. Stay. Strong.)

One other change I made last week was to my work schedule, going to work at 10 instead of 9, and using that entire extra hour to do yoga.  I have never done an hour of yoga every day, and it has given me so much more time to try new things . . . or not.  There are some poses that I simply cannot do.  Yet.  And then there are some that I cannot hold for 10 seconds, much less 2 minutes--camel pose, for instance (it's not as easy as it looks!):  


I am interested in seeing how I improve as the weeks pass.  And oh, is there room for improvement.

Making these changes, I feel free.  How to explain this?  I am proud of myself for holding to my practices these past few days.  I know I have five weeks to go, but I have increasing faith that I will be able to continue along this path I have chosen.  I am amazed at how the different practices are fitting together so well.  My resolve to take a hiatus from Facebook is helping me to minimize the rest of my online time.  My morning yoga is both energizing and calming, and I find myself craving healthier foods, other forms of exercise, and more time outside. And praying to Mother God encompasses it all; it is freeing and calming and energizing and humbling.  It feels like coming home.

What I love the most is that for these past few days I have felt that I am living the life I've been wanting to live for a long time.  It's so easy to get caught up in the busyness of life, in a cycle of work, come home, kick back with a movie or some mindless online time, go to bed, repeat.  And perhaps there's nothing terribly wrong with that, except that it just didn't feel like enough.  I am blessed, right now, with a good deal of free time.  Most people my age have kids and the mountain of responsibility that comes with that.  Greg and I don't have kids (yet), and I want my time to be spent more meaningfully.  These are all small steps in that direction.

I'll sign off with an absolutely scintillating recipe that I have been savoring this past week.  I found it in my Yoga for Women book, and if you want something refreshing and divinely delicious, this is for you:

Mango Lassi

*1 very ripe mango, peeled and cubed (I find it easiest to peel it, then just cut off slices/chunks straight into the blender . . . and lick my fingers afterward!)
*1 cup plain yogurt
*1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
*small handful of ice cubes or 1/3 cup of cold water

Combine in blender.  Pour into glasses (makes about 2 servings).  Drink . . . and know that this is evidence that God loves us.  MMM.

Blessings to you all, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. And ow. I'll let you guess which comment goes with which picture.

    Happy spring!!

    ReplyDelete